These neat looking parcels are packed full of flavour and spice, and all things nice. As I was putting them together I had to repeatedly tell Jimi to leave the kitchen as he was eating the filling faster than I could use it! They are a little time consuming to prepare, but the effort is so worth it when you take your first bite of crispy filo pastry and hit the delicious chicken and chorizo waiting inside.
Cover your filo pastry with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out. This is a step I’ll usually skip as I’ve never had this problem before, but as these were taking me a longer than I thought to wrap up, the pastry did begin to crisp up a tad — damp tea-towel to the rescue.
The parcels taste even better with a sweet chili dipping sauce. And they can even be made ahead of time and frozen. Make up to the end of step 6, wrap in clingfilm and then freeze for upto 1 month. Defrost in the fridge the night before needed and then complete the remaining step.
- sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, around 250g (8oz) peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 red chili, de-seeded an finely chopped
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 75g (3oz) spicy chorizo, finely chopped
- small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 7 sheets filo pastry
- poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Brush two baking sheets with a little of the oil.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan, add the onion and sweet potato and cook on a medium heat for around 15-20 minutes, until just tender and golden. You may need to add a splash of water if it gets too dry.
- Add the chili, chicken and chorizo and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Season to taste and add the parsley.
- Brush the top of a sheet of filo with oil, then fold in half length ways. Spoon 1/7 of the mixture about 5cm in from one end and then pull a corner of the pastry over to form a triangle, continue to flip the triangle over along the strip until it is all used.
- Place on the prepared baking tray, brush with oil and sprinkle with some poppy seeds. Repeat 6 more times.
- Bake the parcels in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until crisp and golden.