So we’re halfway through our January health kick and I’ll admit it, I’m seriously craving a greasy kebab, pathetic I know. But I ‘m determined to stick to my guns, and after battling with the kids to give up the ice cream desserts and embrace a good chunk of melon, I won’t let it be me who caves first! I needed to whip up something at home to shush those evil, greasy desires.
And thank the heavens, I managed it. These tender chicken goujons with roasted veg did just the job. Adding a little smoked paprika to the breadcrumbs before coating the chicken was a great move, the flavors went superbly with the balsamic I drizzled over the veg before roasting.
These will for sure be our new ‘fakeaway’ as not only are they way healthier and far cheaper than the offerings of the kebab shop around the corner, but they are umpteen times more delicious, too. So my apologies to you friendly Mr Food Man but it will be a long while before we meet again, “güle güle”.
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup plain four, seasoned
- 2 eggs, beaten
- breadcrumbs from 2 slices of bread
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika to taste
- 6 pitta breads
- leafy green salad to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Place the peppers, sweet potatoes and red onions on a baking sheet, season and drizzle with the oil and balsamic vinegar. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, checking regularly and drizzling with more oil if needed.
- Meanwhile, place the seasoned flour in a bowl, the beaten eggs in another bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third. Add the smoked paprika to the breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Take a strip of chicken, dip in the bowl of flour to cover, then into the egg and finally roll in the seasoned breadcrumbs to cover and place onto a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken strips.
- When the vegetables are halfway through the cooking time, add the sheet of chicken strips to the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until thoroughly cooked through.
- Serve the chicken goujons and the roasted vegetables in large pittas, with a leafy green salad.