This dish is packed full of flavor, it’s by far the greatest salad I’ve ever made. Every ingredient is there for a reason and they all compliment each other perfectly. I never thought of combining rhubarb with fish before and I still can’t believe how well it goes. The warming spring sun was upon my back while I was chowing this down, it was proper intoxicating and got me right in the mood for the upcoming summer.
Super quick and stupidly easy to prepare. And minimal mess, too — which always appeals to me, particularly with a light snack like this.
Fresh and healthy and so so delicious, your time back if you don’t love this one.
A tip — wrap any of that left over rhubarb in clingfilm, it’ll last at least a week if kept in the fridge 🙂
- 300g (10.5 oz) rhubard, chopped
- ½ orange, zested and juiced
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 90g (3 oz) watercress, spinach and rocket mixed leafs
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 250g (9 oz) smoked mackerel, no skin, flaked into small pieces
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 100g (1/2 cup) crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 170C and 385F.
- Place the rhubarb on a tray with the orange zest and juice, allspice, pepper, sugar and oil.
- Mix well then roast for 12 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender. Remove and allow to cool.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together with 1 tbsp of water and any extra juices from the cooked rhubarb tray.
- Fill four plates with the salad leaves, cucumber, mackerel and rhubarb.
- Drizzle over the dressing and serve.