This a simple and quick but utterly delicious fakeaway side dish. Ideal for those wanting the taste of takeout without the hole in the wallet, or the aching MSG gut afterwards.
It goes great with any Chinese main, such as my succulent Fakeaway #02 — Sweet & Sour Chicken Hong Kong Style
Equally, the dish can be enjoyed on its own as a meal for one. The flavor’s are super moreish but can easily be tweaked to suit your own taste — personally I can never get enough Soy Sauce, I reserve a few tablespoons to drizzle over the rice once served.
My recipe will serve 2 people as a side, and can easily multiply up to suite a larger group.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ leek, finely sliced
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- 2x eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, plus a little extra to serve
- 200g/7oz basmati rice, cooked
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan
- Add the leek and onion to the pan and cook until soft but not brown
- Pour in the eggs and whisk until they begin to scramble
- Add the soy source
- Add the cooked rice and mix well
- Stir in the chives
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Serve hot, perhaps with my Sweet & Sour Chicken