OK, so ‘bad mom’ confession coming up! Last weekend we spent the day doing festive themed activities and generally building the kids excitement for the big day. The boys were so much fun and such little stars that as an extra treat we introduced them to ‘the food man!’ (the delivery guy from our local kebab shop). The kids thought it was magic that we could call someone up and by the time pj’s were on he would arrive at the door with dinner. I may regret this decision!
River had ordered popcorn chicken and fries, an adult sized portion that would have defeated me but this dude has his daddy’s appetite and polished the lot off. I did however, while his back was turned, sneak one piece of popcorn chicken and while it was good, it was lacking a CRUNCH! And after a mini brainstorm my own version was born, Crunchy Popcorn Chicken using spicy tortilla chips.
I used Jimi’s smoothie blender to pulse the spicy chips down (still lacking in the food processor department!) and to add a bigger kick I added some extra chili powder too, but this is optional. The cooling ranch dip works perfectly to balance the hot kick, and is delicious on it’s own too.
A great evening snack. I’m gonna make them instead of calling the food man next time — they’re tastier, and a heck of a lot cheaper.
- 300g (10½oz) chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 140g (1 cup) flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 175g (6oz) chili flavour tortilla chips, crushed/pulsed into crumbs
- Pinch of chili powder to taste
- FOR THE COOL RANCH DIP
- 150ml (just under ¾ cup) sour cream
- 50ml (just under ¼ cup) mayo
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- pinch of seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line two baking sheets with foil.
- Place the flour, eggs and the tortilla crumbs (with the chili powder) into three separate bowls.
- Dip each chicken chunk into the flour then the eggs and then roll in the tortilla crumbs, place on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the cool ranch dip, place all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.