So last week was half term, and in true awkward kids style, Alby came down with an awful cold. He spent the whole week feeling really sorry for himself, and considering he has hardly cried at all since birth, he sure made up for it in just those few days! His nose was running like a tap and any attempt to wipe it was met with his new found ‘dinosaur roar’. Toward the end of the third day he was well and truly fed up with life, and to really kick him whilst he was down he got his first ever nappy rash. I felt awful that I couldn’t make it all go away for him, so I did what I always do for his dad when he’s fed up at the world, I baked!
I grabbed whatever was lying around — a few basic baking ingredients, the last mushy banana from the fruit bowl and an apple that had rolled to the back of the fridge. Alby was distracted from his woes for a few minutes as he helped me mash the banana and stir the batter and, like any chef worth his Michelin Star, he was taste testing as he went.
Once cooled I placed a muffin in front of Alby and he had great fun pulling it apart and shoving it in his mouth, he even smiled for the first time in days!
Though it wasn’t long before he was doing his dinosaur roar again, however this time it was because he wanted more cake!
- 1 large, ripe banana, mashed
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 60g (1/3 cup) golden caster (super-fine) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 60ml (1/4 cup) sunflower or vegetable oil
- 90g (2/3 cup) plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a small muffin tray with 10 cake cases.
- Place the mashed banana and grated apple in a mixing bowl, add the caster sugar and egg and beat to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well to ensure it is fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared cake cased and bake in to oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.